Home / About

About

Gallery History

 

Established in South St. David Street, Edinburgh by Aitken Dott in 1842 as Gilders, Framers, and Artists’ Colourmen, the firm, as it does today, exhibited and sold work by the leading Scottish artists of the day.

As all areas of the business grew, larger premises were found in Castle Street in 1860 and a new dedicated gallery space was opened in 1897 as The Scottish Gallery. The gallery has been situated on Dundas Street since 1992.

The Scottish Gallery celebrates its 180th anniversary in 2022 and in 2017, celebrated 175 Years of Art with a programme of exhibitions and events highlighting emerging, established and historical artists.

Read the first chapter of Portrait of a Gallery


Sign up to our news and events