Established in South St. David Street, Edinburgh by Aitken Dott in 1842 as "Gilders, Framers, and Artists' Colourmen", the firm, as it does today, also exhibited and sold work by the leading Scottish artists of the day. As all areas of the business grew, larger premises were found in Castle Street in 1860 and a new dedicated gallery space was opened in 1897 as "The Scottish Gallery". The gallery has been situated on Dundas Street since 1992.
The Scottish Gallery celebrates 175 Years of Art in 2017. Throughout this special anniversary year we have planned a programme of exhibitions highlighting emerging, established and historical artists.Read the first chapter of Portrait of a Gallery