Comely Bank Road is situated in the heart of Edinburgh’s leafy Stockbridge. Historically, the ground was part of Sir William Fettes’s estate, and the original development was a terrace of Georgian townhouses built to face the main east–west road. It was designed by the architect Thomas Brown in 1817. The writer Thomas Carlyle lived, with his wife Jane Carlyle, at 21 Comely Bank Road from 1826 to 1828. At that time, the terrace at the western end of the road was the last row of houses in Edinburgh before the village of Blackhall. In this collage from 1982, Carola Gordon has captured the detail of the houses and gardens, recording the character of the place and creating a story from Edinburgh’s literary history.
Carola Gordon (b.1940) is an Edinburgh based artist, producing drawings and paintings of Edinburgh aspects, allotments and interior views. She was was born in Lucknow in India in 1940 and was educated between 1948 and 1961 at school and university in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa, where she graduated in English and Fine Art. After gaining her master’s degree from New Hall College, Cambridge in 1963, she studied fine art at Edinburgh College of Art from 1963-1965. Gordon went onto teach in the fine art department at the University of Natal, South Africa before moving to Edinburgh in 1977. She is a multidisciplinary artist who works in oil, watercolour, printmaking and collage. Her work is held in private collections in Scotland, England, USA, Canada, Australia, Germany and South Africa and her awards include the Lily MacDougall Award and Martin and Frost Award. Public collections include the City Art Centre in Edinburgh, the New Hall in Cambridge and Tatham Art Gallery in Pietermaritzburgh, South Africa.