Perpetua Pope was born in Solihull but grew up in rural Aberdeenshire where her father was a business man and passionate art buyer. Her time at Edinburgh College of Art was interrupted by the War, during which she served with the Women’s Auxiliary Air Force. She lectured at Moray House before she retired in 1973. Her time at the College of Art and the exciting milieu in the capital in the preceding years were formative for her own practice which was split between oil and watercolour. She first exhibited with The Scottish Gallery in 1956 and The Gallery held seven more exhibitions during her lifetime.